Hug a nurse
Being a patient is kind of weird. It's like having a hotel room when you don't feel so hot. At least that was my experience this go around. I had three different rooms during my stay, and the labor and delivery bed is definitely the most uncomfortable. I think that is because that bed is for working, hence labor, not for staying still as to not affect your baby's heart rate. I loved my postpartum bed-I'd bring it home if I could.
It is so weird to ask people for things. I was hooked up to these monitors from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon when Finn was born that would monitor his heart rate as well as my uterine activity. I also had an IV on a stand that wasn't very mobile at all. I had to call the nurses desk (I felt so awful doing so, me the kid that doesn't even like to raise my hand in class) to ask for help in going to the bathroom as well as calling when I get back to get hooked back up. It felt weird asking someone way overqualified if I could have some ice chips. I did not want to be that person, as I am way more independent, but it was literally the only option I had available.
I had one nurse assigned to me on the Sunday Finn was born. She came in @ 7 that morning and was just fantastic. She spent a full hour with me that morning, just answering questions. She's a military wife so she was sympathetic to my domestic situation. Looking back, they probably knew I'd most likely be delivering that day after looking at the monitors throughout the night,but she was just fantastic. She stayed with me when the doctor came in to say the baby was going to be born in an hour, she let me drape over her for my spinal block, she stayed with me through recovery and brought me to my post partum room. I was so sad to see her go-I don't even know her last name and we went through this amazing intimate experience together.
After Finn was born, I had the sweetest nurse who wasn't much older than me, who helped me when I was coming out of my spinal-block induced stupor. I'm sure I said some wacky things and I hate not being able to remember it, but I am forever grateful for having her come in my life at that moment.
My nurses really went out of their way to help me. They'd wheel me down to the 3rd floor so I could go to Finn's bedside, they'd even go to the bedside with me. They got sodas for my friends and family when they came (SO unnecessary!!) and sat and chatted with me. We all gossiped about the Michael Jackson saga and they helped me get ready to see Jared when he finally arrived. They were excited to see Jared!! I'm sure every person I met thought, "Yeah, like she's married. Yeah, sure her husband is in "Japan." Funny how before Finn was born, I was concerned with wearing a band on my left ring finger so people would know I was married. I ended up in the hospital without as much as Carmex lip balm.
Finn's nurses-I could write a 300 page book on how fantastic they were. I hope to be able to see them again, just not in a parent-of-a-neonate situation.
If you know a nurse, hug him/her. If you are a nurse, thank you so much. You all do remarkable jobs and don't hear enough the gratitude patients have towards you. Thank you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home