Random Acts of Katie

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Yakiniku experience


a view from the outside of the meat selection. You pick whatever you want in whichever sauce, or non sauce, it is marinating, or not marinating, in.




Unlike American style restaurants, the salad bar was at the end of the line.



a cotton candy machine that appeared to be a hit.




Okinawan desert bar and salad bar




meat.



Went out to dinner with Jared's awesome Japanese co-worker, Noriko, and two gentlemen from Florida who were teaching a class J took last week. Tried a Yakiniku restaurant, which I guess derives from the "Korean barbecue" theme: you grill your own food over a communal grill in the middle of the table. It's fun to experiment, and to play "guess the cut of meat". Jared is much better at that than I ever will be. You pay for a set amount of time (I believe it was 90 minutes) and do the all you can eat thing. Waste is frowned upon and there are the polite Japanese reminders to finish your plate before getting another plate. Knowing this, I was hesitant to try more than one slice of whichever meat in case it wasn't what I thought it was. Surprisingly, it was the chicken that got me. Go figure. Let us know if you want to try this out when you come for a visit-we'd love to go again!


By the way, Eric Patton, I dedicate these especially beefy pics to you! ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

yet another fantastic armslength picture of us.

June 8, 2009 at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home