Random Acts of Katie

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Adjusting

Adjusting back to Hoosierdom isn't as easy as I imagined it would be. I have had icky jet lag. Knock on every piece of wood I come across, but the past two evenings haven't been as hellacious as the previous nights. I can be as tired as can be, but just cannot sleep. Or, I wake up at odd hours STARVING, not the food that may be appropriate for that time of day (breakfast hours), but real food, like meat and cheese. When I actually had the foresight to think this situation through, I've been hungry at my Okinawa meal times. That was a part of jet lag I wasn't thinking about. I've now been in the States for a full week, so I'm hoping things are on the up and up.

It's been more of a challenge to adjust to social changes. In Oki, we aren't used to being around groups of people we know outside of work. I know that sounds silly, but it's been a bit of a change for me while here. Social interactions in public have also been eye opening. I had a hair appointment on Saturday and Scott Co.'s finest paraded in and out the entire time I was there. You know when I say the finest, I'm not talking about actual fine living, so infer way my friends.

Met my new ob and loved her! People wore actual scrubs there, not their Navy uniforms. She raved about the care I received in Oki, which I was excited to hear. I knew I was in good hands, but it's nice to hear people with medical degrees say so.

DRIVING, I did it, on the correct side of the road! I did flip the windshield wipers a couple of times while intending for the turn signals, and reach for the gear shift with my left hand, but I managed to make it to Wal-Mart and back safely! Speaking of Wal-Mart, I instinctively reached for my wallet and my id before walking into the store but then realized it wasn't necessary. I've been conditioned just like Pavlov's dog!!

Nice to see friends, and not have to instant message or Skype them. Can't wait to be able to do so with the husband. He's stuck in Oki w/o internet connection, poor guy!

I'm going to watch television now. Yes, an option with more than one channel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home