I could've gone my entire life without knowing about this community.
You know how things happen for a certain reason in life? I believe that more and more each day. Back when I was skinny, my appendix decided to go kaput right before my birthday. I was way bummed, especially as I had to re-schedule my student teaching interview, thus pushing my student teaching back a semester. Goodness, I miss the days when THAT was a big deal! Anyways, then I found out about this AWESOME opportunity to student teach overseas on a military base. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. That opportunity exposed me to a community that I never knew existed-the overseas military community.
Jared and I have that ESP thing where we are often thinking the same thing at the same time. Sometimes it's mundane things like "I really want tacos for dinner tonight" (fyi-he's browning the meat as I write this), and sometimes we actually get deep. This weekend we independently were thinking of the communities that form overseas that mimic the communities we know and live in back in the States. It was a Sunday early evening and we were driving home from the grocery store-pretty typical for us. Families were out for a walk, some kids were dressed up from going to evening church services, and Mom's were in the kitchen windows washing dishes. This I am completely familiar with!
It's funny how these communities extend into every aspect of life as we know it-schools still have problems finding quality substitute teachers, insurance (Tricare for those serving, Blue Cross or something else for the rest of us) still "screws us over" in some way. Women still meet to gossip and men meet on the golf course for a round and watch the big game on tv (although a major time delay). We could've gone our entire lives without knowing about this community, and now it is the community to which we belong. I find this stuff fascinating.
Happy Monday, and good luck adjusting back to Daylight Saving Time, my midwesterners!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home