Random Acts of Katie

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A case of the dizzies and Typhoon Sinlaku...


I have a severe case of the dizzies and I don't know why. Vertigo is now an unwanted houseguest in the Sawin abode. A typhoon is on its way towards Okinawa, so I wonder if perhaps I am uber sensitive to pressure changes. A lot of my goofy little ones are susceptible to pressure changes and weather changes. I've been dizzy for almost 2 weeks. It's really getting old, quickly.

This morning I received an e-mail from the assistant principal warning us of the upcoming typhoon. The Americans on base are rushing around, going hither and tither to "batten down the hatches" or whatever that phrase is. Jared happened to be on base when the news broke (remember-no phone, radio, television or internet connection = out of tune kinda-newlyweds) and headed over to the commissary and BX to stock up on what he could. He's kind of a MacGuyver type, but was sensitive to my non survival skills and bought a butane heater or something, flashlights, water, rope, all that stuff. We have a mop for potential water that seeps through the balcony doors/windows. We knew that Pacific Ocean view had to have at least one downfall! Come to think of it, with 90+ mph wind, water can really enter our home anyway it wants.
We still can't find a battery powered radio, something everything claims you MUST have, but there are absolutely, positively NONE to be found on this expanse of Americana. We'll look in a Japanese store tomorrow. Sinlaku is scheduled to hit Friday evening and the brunt of the storm will be Saturday. We had our first real rain storm today and it was so windy and nearly horizontal rain. I thought this was normal but later realized this is just another Okinawa rain.
Maybe during the storm I'll revert to one of the lost arts of my generation-good old fashion written correspondence. Sorry if your mailboxes are full in two weeks of drippy, soggy Hallmark cards!

2 Comments:

Blogger elwood said...

kate, get some bonine (tm) or meclizine 25mg if you can for your dizziness. You can thank me later.

September 11, 2008 at 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will welcome any letters, howbeit soggy or otherwise...love the hearing from you! Take cover for right now, however.

September 11, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home