Random Acts of Katie

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

100 Yen Store





Jared and I were treated to a 100 yen store shopping spree today. 100 yen stores are all over Okinawa & Japan and the majority of items are indeed 100 yen. We use our ninja math skills of going with the conversion of 100 yen equaling 1 US dollar. I had heard these stores were just amazing and fantastic places to pick up items for the house and especially the classroom. I had a list of items I wanted from the 100 yen store and also looked for anything beach-related to use for my classroom. As you can see from the above photograph I had some luck.


We don't have a calendar so I was on the lookout. I'm new, I don't want to be late or miss appointments. I'm starting over in Okinawa and trying to be early for things. It is more foreign to me than the culture/language. Anyways I found an English calendar! Now, a lot of items we have found that are translated are literal translations. They don't always make sense from what they were copied from in the States. Here's our new Sawin family kitchen calendar:


You in the know know Jared and I DO NOT address each other like this at all so that makes it even more humorous. I love the 100 yen store!


I found some office supplies for my desk at school and our sponsor came across this unique white tape dispenser:


Much cuter than the old Bic I had at SHS!


We also may be moving into our new apt. tomorrow or Friday so we needed some flat ware. When in Japan, do as the Japanese do:


I liked these because they are slightly ribbed at the bottom so hopefully I can grasp my food more easily. They had lots of neat LITTLE plates, bowls and cups/mugs at the 100 yen store. There was also an abundance of plastic boxes/strainers for kitchen use. I see us shopping at these when we set up house. The quality is different than dollar store quality back home.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica (J-Fed) said...

I think I would like 100 Yen stores too. They look much nicer than our "100 Yen" stores. AND- now you have practice chopsticks for your house and you will become a master chopstick user when you go out to eat. You will put me to shame when you come home and we go to Kansai......

August 27, 2008 at 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be catching fly’s with chopsticks by the time you get back here.

August 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev's comment makes me lol. I had forgotten about Kung Fu catching flies with chopsticks!

August 28, 2008 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just love "Random Acts of Katie". I can not wait for the next chapter!

August 28, 2008 at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home