Random Acts of Katie

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Chopsticks vs. forks





Forks are very convenient. They have a sharp edge that makes it easy to pierce food, to push it around a plate and hold it in place when you move the fork from the plate to your mouth. Chopsticks, not so much. I am struggling with chopsticks! I have the chopstick skills of a first grader. Rice here is stickier than home, so it clumps together into a ball like form and is easier to manage with two skinny sticks. However I don't know the etiquette on pieces of vegetables and food that are too big for one bite, as there are not knives on the table. Very interesting.



To answer some questions, some want to know what sushi tastes like. It varies. I tried some that is a fried bean curd around rice. It is slightly sweet and I suppose savory would be a term used to describe it. I personally don't care for it. There is also plain white rice with a tofu type rectangle on top, tied with a strip of dried seaweed. There are several "patties" of the sticky rice formed into circles or rectangles with thin pieces of raw or barbecued fish on top, sometimes accompanied by cucumbers, onions or avocado. We even tried a seaweed wrapped rice with cucumber and plum sauce. That was an interesting flavor. Sushi is tricky because it fills up in your stomach pretty quickly. I now imagine the pain poor birds felt after weddings when they snarfed the birdseed the wellwishers threw in the air. Sushi also makes you thirsty. Sushi is to be eaten with your chopsticks, no forks, no fingers. It's difficult because lots of the sushi is not bite sized and I know of no graceful way of keeping rice clumps from falling out of fried bean curd. The picture at the top is like the Sushi Go Round restaurant Jared and I ate at Tuesday evening. I had this exact type of sushi. I think it was salmon. It had thinly sliced onions on top. The onions aren't as potent as onions at home; these had a much more mellow flavor. The other pictures are of me attempting to eat sushi and hold sushi. It just doesn't feel natural for me yet!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look like a pro, like you have lived there for years!

August 28, 2008 at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home