Random Acts of Katie

Sunday, January 11, 2009

They should be grateful

It's Girl Scout cookie season on Okinawa. I guess it's the season back in the States, too, but I never paid attention. There were always tons of different types of baked goods available at home, plus cookies aren't like my favorite thing in the world. Well, things are exaggerated here and seeing the Girl Scouts selling their goods outside the door to the BX reminded me of home, and I wanted to support the "troops", as they seem like one of the positive activities for young girls and women to participate in here on the island. Well, looking back, I wish I had not handed over $10.50 for 3 boxes (geez, I don't think I've ever paid 3.50 for 12 cookies. I'm a cheapskate). The high school aged girls I chose to buy from had ZERO salesmanship skills, and personality. One girl had the audacity to TEXT when I was asking questions, having her mom, or the troop leader, whoever she was, do the entire transaction. The two other girls were unable to make eye contact, and didn't even say "Thank You" after my purchase. Seriously?! When I was leaving, one of the mute bystanders meekly said to the texter (who I determined to be the "queen bee" of the group that she didn't think they were supposed to text while they were on duty). Queen Bee, and her mom/troop leader said it was all right!!!

I was hoping I wasn't being hypercritical due to my fluxuating emotions, but all suspicions were confirmed when we ran our next errand to the Shoppette to rent a movie. The G.S. troop there were a bit younger, like maybe middle school down to 5th grade, but they made such an effort. They smiled, interacted with customers, and said "THANK YOU!!" with the bravo I felt it required. It made me wish I could return my unopened cookie boxes to the original sellers and go back and re-purchase at this new location. Grr!

I know this sounds silly, and it's all mental, but my Samoa's, which are not coincidentally called Samoa's here, but Caramel Delights, just don't taste as good as they typically did when I purchased from excited, grateful girls.

4 Comments:

Blogger hoosier (by marriage) mama said...

Just bought 5 boxes of thin mints (only 40 calories per cookie) yesterday for $3 each. I just filled out a form floating around work, so I didn't run the risk of being disappointed by a girl scout with poor social skills.

January 11, 2009 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I also got a box of thin mints and a box of the shortbread ones. I love the thin mints right out of the freezer.

Indiana Girl Scouts have to have better manners, and personalities.

January 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Jessica (J-Fed) said...

I too have been propositioned to buy Girl Scout cookies at work. However, being that I have a gluten free diet, I politely declined. Now I have an excuse to use for the rest of my life! I'm kind of sad though b/c I really like Thin Mints!!

January 12, 2009 at 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too, purchased a case of G.S. cookies from Megan Hardin, and another 5 boxes from Maria Gary, and THEY both asked me, not their mothers, so I happily bought "quantities", however, if the mom's had asked, well MAYBE I would have bought one box from each.

January 16, 2009 at 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home