Random Acts of Katie

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pity, Party of One

Ugly pity party reared her yucky head again. I think it was a culmination of exasperation, homesickness, and uncertainity. I used to pout, a lot, when I was little and whenever I pouted, my dad would always say, "You better watch out for that lip because a bird is going to land on it." I truly believed him and to this day remember the vision of a blackbird with yucky talons grabbing onto my lip. I was gullible. Still am, probably always will be. That's just part of who I am. Well, there are bats here. Yes, BATS. The big scary bats who fly around at night. I sure as heck don't want a scary bat landing on my lip so I'm going to quit my pouting.

I feel like I'm hitting my stride at work and that is nice. I could use 50 hours in a day to accomplish everything I feel I need to, but what's the point? I know I'll get it done. A girl at work said she heard, or read, that teachers should be the best teacher they can between 8:00 and 3:30 and then go live their lives. At times I would think this was the most ridiculous statement, teachers should be "on" for hours before and after work, come in on weekends. And then on the other hand at times, I completely agree with the 0800-1530 statement (like that military jargon?). I'm going to experiment with 0800-1600 the rest of this week and see how that works for me.

Jared and I are hitting the gym. One reason is because if we get to come home at Christmas, and we happen to get an awesome fare on a Japanese airline, we want to be comfortable when we are in transit for 23 hours to and fro. Japanese airplane seats ARE considerably more narrow and short than their North American counterparts. Air India was even more comfortable than ANA (All Nippon Airways?). Also, we just want to be healthy. Jared says our exercising frequency has gone up 100%, but I think it should be like 200% or something like that. Speaking of math, guess who is the new sponsor of the Amelia Earhart Intermediate Schol Math Club? Yes, Miss-I-registered-for-MATHS2070-three-times. Nope, these aren't Mathletes, but kids who need extra help with math. Once I found out this wasn't for advanced kids but rather kids with lower levels I was all over it. I'm also something called the YoronIsland rep. From what I gather the fifth grade students have an opportunity to be chosen to travel to said island for a week of team building activities or something. I guess I help choose the fifth graders who will be going? I don't know, but it's a new opportunity for me. I like doing things with gen.ed. kids so I'm excited about this.

This is long, sorry! I had lots to share.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica (J-Fed) said...

I'm happy to hear you are the Math sponsor! I have a feeling Jared will not be taking part in said math club considering our "group" math class with J-Rod back in 2005. I am still waiting for my new shoes from that ordeal!

Miss you!

September 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger hoosier (by marriage) mama said...

I love it when you make me laugh! Some day you will get some type of award in for creative math teaching... I just know it. Keep up the positive attitude!

September 24, 2008 at 6:40 AM  
Blogger Jared said...

I'm really good at solving CAPTCHA's on Myspace. Those are like equations right? Oh theres one on here too! Word Verification equations! Hooray!

September 25, 2008 at 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never be a Mathlete either.

October 17, 2008 at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home