Random Acts of Katie

Friday, October 10, 2008

Yoshihachi's




Pictured: Yoshi roll & cheese croquette

I knew I didn't want to cook tonight (Friday). Normally, I LOVE cooking and entertaining, but seeing as we have none of our cooking supplies, or anyone to entertain, eating out was the next best (only) option. I knew I wanted udon noodles, thick, chewy, long noodles that are absolutely fabulous in every way. Jared may want some sushi and we both would like some good vegetables. I asked the student teacher in my room and she immediately recommended Yoshi Hachi's. I was in the mood to try a Japanese restaurant tonight, so off we went. I don't even know how to spell it, but I know Yoshi and Hachi are in the title. It was fantastic! They had traditional table dining & tatami mat dining-either you sat on the floor and either your feet went into a hole under the table, or you sat cross legged or something similar. We went to EARLY dinner, like 5:20 ish and scored a tatami mat seat, feet and legs in hole. Awesome.

We had some rolled sushi, which apparently isn't really "Japanese" but more westernized. Scoff if you like, but I wasn't feeling like blowfish sushi nigiri (raw fish on rice patty) or yellowtail fish head. Yes, that's on the menu also. We tried a spicy tuna roll, shrimp tempura (fried shrimp) roll, asparagus & "bacon" (really ham), and the object of my constant craving-yakiudon. Yakiudon is stirfried udon noodles and cabbage, carrots, green onions and ham. It had the best garlic sauce in the world. Definitely not kissably fresh, but oh so delicious. Well, we ate and then thought, "Hmm, it's only 6:30 & I'm going to get hungry later..." and ordered cheese croquettes & a Yoshi roll. The Yoshi-san apparently likes tuna, crab & avocado. Tres delicious.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

I had fun. GREAT sushi. Surprise of the evening, Orion draft goes good with Japanese food.

October 11, 2008 at 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want Katie to help me order when we eat out. I want to put my feet in a hole.

October 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home